Surface Chemistry Objective Questions
- Which of the following is less than zero during adsorption ?
(d) All of these
- Which of the following is a property of physisorption ?
(a) High specificity
(d) None of these
- Which of the following statement is not correct about physisorption ?
(a) It is a reversible process
(b) It requires less heat of adsorption
(c) It requires activation energy
(d) It takes place at low temperature
- The incorrect statement about physical adsorption is
(a) it lacks specificity
(b) it is generally reversible
(c) porous surfaces are good adsorbent
(d) heat of adsorption is quite high
- Which is correct in case of van der Waals adsorptions ?
(a) High temperature, low pressure
(b) High temperature, high pressure
(c) Low temperature, low pressure
(d) Low temperature, high pressure
- Which, of the following gases is least absorbed on charcoal ?
- Which of the following is not characteristic of chemisorption ?
(a) Adsorption is specific
(b) Heat of adsorption is of the order of 200 kJ mol-1
(c) Adsorption is irreversible
(d) Adsorption may be multimolecular layers
- Which of the following is not correct regarding the adsorption of a gas on the surface of solid ?
(a) On increasing pressure, adsorption keeps on increasing
(b) Enthalpy and entropy changes are negative
(c) Chemisorption is more specific than physisorption
(d) It is a reversible reaction
- At low pressure, the fraction of the surface covered follows
(a) zero-order kinetics
(b) first order kinetics
(c) second order kinetics
(d) fractional order kinetics
- Which of the following gases present in a polluted area will be adsorbed most easily on the charcoal gas mask ?
- Which of the following is application of adsorption in chemical analysis
(a) Adsorption indicators
(b) Thin layer chromatography
(c) Qualitative analysis
(d) All of these
- What is the role of adsorption in froth floatation process used especially for concentration of sulphide ores ?
(a) Shape selective catalysts
(b) Adsorption of pine oil on sulphide ore particles
(c) Adsorption of pine oil on impurities
(d) Production of heat in the process of exothermic reaction
- Which of the following can adsorb larger volume of hydrogen gas ?
(a) Finely divided platinum
(b) Colloidal solution of palladium
(c) Small pieces of palladium
(d) A single metal surface of platinum
- Which kind of catalysis can be explained on the basis of adsorption theory ?
(a) Homogeneous catalysis
(b) Heterogeneous catalysis
(c) Negative catalysis
(d) Auto catalysis
- The oxide of nitrogen which acts as a catalyst in lead chamber proces is …………
- Shape-selective catalysis is a reaction catalysed by …………….
(d) Ziegler-Natta catalyst
- The activity of an enzyme becomes ineffective ……….
(a) at low temperature
(b) at atmospheric pressure
(c) at high temperature
(d) in aqueous medium
- The size of colloidal particles ranges between ………….
(a) 10-7 – 10-9cm
(b) 10-9 -101 cm
(c) 10-5 – 10-7cm
(d) 10-2 – 10-3cm
- Which of the following will not form a colloidal system ?
- Fog is an example of colloidal system of ………….
(a) liquid in gas
(b) gas in liquid
(c) solid in gas
(d) gas in solid
- A colloidal system in which liquid is dispersed phase and solid is dispersion medium is classified as ………….
- Which of the following example is correctly matched ?
(a) Butter – gel
(b) Smoke – emulsion
(c) Paint – foam
(d) Milk – aerosol
- Which of the following factors contribute towards higher stability of lyophilic colloid ?
(a) Charge on their particles
(b) Attractive forces between particles
(c) Small size of their particles
(d) High solvation due to a layer of dispersion medium
- A lyophobic colloid cannot be formed by ………….
(a) mixing dispersed phase and dispersion medium
(b) chemical reactions like hydrolysis
(c) exchange of solvent
- Which of the following is not correctly matched ?
(a) Gelatin – Lyophilic colloid
(b) Gold sol – Lyophilic colloid
(c) Arsenious sulphide – Lyophobic colloid
(d) Ferric hydroxide – Lyophobic colloid
- The substances which behave as colloidal solutions at higher concentration are called ………….
(a) associated colloids
(b) multimolecular colloids
(c) macromolecular colloids
(d) protective colloids
- The formation of micelles takes place only above …………..
(a) critical temperature
(b) Kraft temperature
(c) inversion temperature
(d) absolute temperature
- The critical micelle concentration (CMC) is defined as…………….
(a) the concentration at which micellization starts
(b) the concentration at which micelle starts behaving like an electrolyte
(c) the concentration at which dispersed phase is separated from dispersion medium
(d) the concentration at which a colloid is converted to suspension
- Soap mixed with water below critical micelle concentration behaves as
(a) associated colloid
(b) macromolecular colloid
(c) normal electrolytic solution
(d) multimolecular colloid
- White of an egg whipped with water acts as …………………
(a) macromolecular colloid
(b) associated colloid
(c) molecular colloid
(d) normal electrolytic solution
- Which of the following is not a method of removing impurities from a colloidal sol ?
(c) Ultra centrifugation
- Tyndall effect is not observed in ………………
(c) sugar solution
(d) gold sol
- Which of the following systems will show Tyndall effect ?
(a) Aqueous solution of sodium chloride
(b) Aqueous solution of aluminium hydroxide
(c) Aqueous solution of glucose
(d) Aqueous solution of urea
- Which of the following is not an explanation for the origin of charge on the colloidal particles ?
(a) Due to frictional electrification
(b) Due to dissociation of surface molecules
(c) Due to electrophoresis
(d) Due to selective adsorption of ions
- Movement of dispersion medium under the influence of electric field is known as ……………
- Why is alum added to water containing suspended impurities ?
(a) To make a colloidal solution
(b) To coagulate the suspended impurities
(c) To remove impurities of calcium and magnesium
(d) To protect the colloidal solution from getting precipitated
- Which of the following acts as the best coagulating agent for ferric hydroxide sol ?
(a) Potassium ferrocyanide
(b) Potassium chloride
(c) Potassium oxalate
(d) Aluminium chloride
- Why is gelatin mixed with gold sol ?
(a) Gold sol is lyophobic sol, gelatin acts as stabilising agent
(b) Gold sol is lyophilic sol, gelatin acts as stabilising agent
(c) Gelatin produces negative charge on gold particles in gold sol
(d) Gelatin helps gold sol to get its critical micelle concentration
- Which of the following is not a method for coagulation of lyophobic sols ?
(a) By electrophoresis
(b) By mixing oppositely charged sols
(c) By adding electrolyte
(d) By adding a protective colloid
- What happens when a lyophilic sol is added to a lyophobic sol ?
(a) Lyophilic sol is protected
(b) Lyophobic sol is protected
(c) Both the sols are coagulated
(d) Electrophorsis takes place
- Which of the following is not an example of an emulsifying agent ?
- The separation of an emulsion into its constituent liquids is known as
(b) protection of colloid
- Which of the following processes does not occur at the interface of phases ?
(b) Heterogeneous catalysis
(c) Homogeneous catalysis
- At the equilibrium position in the process of adsorption …………
(a) ΔH > 0
(b) ΔH = TΔS
- Which of the following interfaces cannot be obtained ?
- The term ‘sorption’ stands for………………
(c) both absorption and adsorption
- Which of the following is not a favourable condition for physical adsorption ?
(a) High pressure
(b) Negative ΔH
(c) Higher critical temperature of adsorbate
(d) High temperature
- Physical adsorption of a gaseous species may change to chemical adsorption with……………
(a) decrease in temperature
(b) increase in temperature
(c) increase in surface area of adsorbent
(d) decrease in surface area of adsorbent
- Which of the following is an example of absorption ?
(a) Water on silica gel
(b) Water on calcium chloride
(c) Hydrogen on finely divided nickel
(d) Oxygen on metal surface
- At high concentration of soap in water, soap behaves as ……..
(a) molecular colloid
(b) associated colloid
(c) macromolecular colloid
(d) lyophilic colloid
- Freshly preparad precipitate sometimes gets converted to colloidal solution by …………..
- Which of the following process is responsible for the formation of delta at a place where rivers meet the sea ?
(b) Colloid formation
- Which of the following process is not responsible for the presence of electric charge on the sol particles ?
(a) Electron capture by sol particles
(b) Adsorption of ionic species from solution
(c) Formation of Helmholtz electrical double layer
(d) Adsorption of ionic species from solution
12th chemistry objective questions and answers in english, 12th chemistry objective 2022, 12th chemistry objective question bank, 12th chemistry objective questions and answers in english, 12th chemistry chapter 5 objective questions, class 12th chemistry objective science sangrah, bihar board 12th chemistry objective question 2021, 12th ka chemistry objective, साइंस संग्रह ऑफिसियल, रसायन विज्ञान कक्षा 12, Science Sangrah Official, कक्षा 12 रसायन शास्त्र अध्याय 3, रसायन विज्ञान कक्षा 12 नोट्स in hindi 2022, science sangrah official, Surface Chemistry, 12th chemistry, chemistry class 12th, class-12-chemistry-objective-questions, ncert-solutions-for-class-12-chemistry-chapter-5, bihar-board-12th-chemistry-objective-answers-chapter-5-in-english, bihar board chemistry class 12 objective questions in english, chemistry objective questions in english, surface chemistry ncert solutions, surface chemistry class 12 ncert notes, surface chemistry class 12 ncert solutions, Class 12th Chemistry Most VVI Objective Chapter Wise Question , BSEB Inter Exam 2021 Important Guess Question Paper, 12th Chemistry Previous Years Question Paper, Class 12th Chemistry Objective Question All Chapter on New Pattern, Class 12th Chemistry Most VVI Objective Solid State Chapter, Class 12th Chemistry Most VVI Objective Solid State Chapter, BSEB Inter Exam 2021 Chemistry Important Objective MCQ Question Paper, 12th Chemistry Electro Chemistry Most VVI Objective Question Chapter Wise, Class 12th Exam Chemistry VVI Objective Question p Block Elements Chapter, Class 12th Exam Chemistry VVI Objective Question in English Co-Ordination Chapter, Class 12th Chemistry Objective Question in English Haloalkanes & Haloarenes Chapter, Class 12th Board Exam Chemistry Most VVI Objective Question Chapter Wise, 12th Board Exam Chemistry VVI Objective Question Amines Chapter, 12th Board Exam Chemistry VVI Objective Question Chapter wise in English